Today Jarron and I took the boys to Yakima, WA (self-proclaimed to be the "Palm Springs" of WA) so we could check out our future hometown. Jarron starts work at the hospital there on Tuesday and we are SO excited to start paying off student loans and save money for a house.
Our itenerary was simple: scout out the local high schools and desired neighborhoods and get a feel for the housing market. We'll see what happens as far as home buying goes--Jarron has already decided on which house he wants and is praying it stays on the market for a (potentially long) while. Aptly, the house is on Trout Lake Court.
I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed Yakima. There are a lot of great parks, newer areas, a charming "historic" downtown (where the hospital is), and great views. I felt a little more at "home" in Yakima with the snow-capped mountain range nearby. I guess Utah grew on me more than I realized. I need scenery in my life!
On a related note (well, not really but it happened while we were driving), Cameron asked me to find his superheroes. "You know, mom...The orange and green ones. One has hair that feels like chocolate and one has a helmet." Help! What in the world is he talking about??
How exciting! It's fun to start entering a new phase in life. As far as the superheroes go, I am just as clueless as you are. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI wish I could help you with the superhero thing, but I have no idea either. Happy super-hero hunting?!?
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Yakima! There are so many neighborhoods that I would love to live in. My grandparents live on 64th Avenue in Yakima. It's a pretty cute area.
ReplyDeleteI wish my hair felt like chocolate!
Yakima sounds so pretty! Ok, I'm confused about one thing: why are you guys scouting out HIGH schools? are you planning on teaching at a high school? or is Jarron?
ReplyDeleteI would move to WA or OR in a heartbeat! Lucky you. :)
ReplyDeleteto answer rachel:
ReplyDeletehigh schools are a big thing for Jarron; he refuses to let his kids go to certain schools in this area because of his biases. (he played the Yakima schools in h.s. football and hates two of the four high school teams they have there.) Also, you know Jarron--once we buy a house, we may NEVER move again! so we'd better be careful in what area we choose to settle. :)
marn,
ReplyDelete64th is a good area! i think it's considered west valley. that would be crazy if i ended up in a ward with your family!